Breed : Not Akc Recognized
Weight: Male: 120-155; Female: 120-155 lbs
Height: Male: 28-34; Female: 28-34 inches
Color(s): White with head or body markings of black, orange, gray, fawn, and brindle.
Pyrenean Mastiff Breed Information:
This breed of dogs was developed in Spain, they are known as a good protectors and watchdog because of which they are adopted by farmer to protect sheep and other small animals. They are a rare breed and are difficult to obtain, this breed is present in a average size, they are agile bold and tough. The Pyrenean Mastiff are intelligent and have many qualities which make them different from other dog breeds. Pyrenean Mastiff is a quality breed, when it comes to protection they can protect their family and territory very effectively, they are very loyal with their masters and family. They are good with children and others around the household. They do good in house and love to spent time with family.
They are not a threatening dog breed but can sure take action when they perceive a threat. Pyrenean Mastiff has a single coat which is thick and long, it covers the entire body of this dog breed.
This breed of dogs are good learners, they will not respond to heavy and harsh methods of training and training should be given to them in pleasant environment. They are good for city apartments and do well with family. Brushing of the hair should be done on a regular basis and bathing can be done if needed
Pyrenean Mastiff Health and Diseases:
This dog breed is prone to such health issues as eye problems, inflammatory bowel disease, hip dysplasia, and bloat. The Pyrenean Mastiff has an average lifespan of 12 years.
Pyrenean Breed Characteristics and Appearance:
Spanish breed of guard and herding dog.
- General appearance: dog of great size, substance and power with moderately long coat, flat ears and long, thickly haired tail.
- Head: not too heavy in proportion to size of dog. Muzzle strong, of medium length, nose black, scissors bite, eyes almond-shaped, dark amber-brown, somewhat obliquely set. Ears fairly small, triangular, with rounded tips, the base being on a level with the eyes lying flat against the head.
- Neck: fairly short, thick and muscular, covered with long hair.
- Body: back of good length, broad, muscular, straight and level. Rump slightly downward sloping. Chest broad and deep, dogs have more pronounced waist than bitches.
- Legs and feet: forelegs strong, straight, well plumed, thighs long, heavily muscled, tapering gradually down to the hocks. The stifle and hock joints should have only medium angulation. Double dewclaws on hind legs, feet short and compact.
- Tail: thick at root, should be long enough to reach the hocks, abundantly covered with long hair which should form a plume. In repose carried low, when alert curled high above the back.
- Coat: profuse fine undercoat, outercoat coarser, thick and straight or slightly wavy.
- Color: mainly white, may have patches of badger, wolf great or pale yellow on ears, head and around tail root.
- Height and Weight: dogs 70 – 80 cm, bitches rather less; 45- 55 kg.
- Origin of breed: descended from original breed.
- Characteristics and uses: intelligent, independent, good natured, but also wary. It a good watchdog or herding dog and a faithful companion for those who can give it sufficient exercise.